Sunday, May 24, 2015

Some Rain Today

Today there is a storm and we have been asked to stay in the volunteer hostel because it is pretty windy and fruits (mostly mangoes) are flying off trees. This is sad for me because I love being in storms, but it is probably for the best because I love being in storms especially when it is dangerous. On the bright side we have a courtyard and no one said I couldn't go on the roof, so those are the places I have been enjoying the storm from.

Over the last week four more volunteer coordinators have come in, we visited Mamallapuram and I have helped with BP and blood sugar tests in the colonies as well as cleaned the patients ulcers (the ones we clean are located on the foot and ankle areas). I am going to be explaining what has happened this week in reverse order, so Saturday back.

First up, Mamallapuram! Mamallapuram was the site of a trade port anciently and is still populated to this day. There are a fair number of ancient structures, many of which are carved out of or into huge solid stones. I will include some pictures, but I haven't even gotten to look at all the different structures. The best time to be there would probably be around sunrise, FYI. We spent a couple hours at the beach and just enjoyed our Saturday.

As I mentioned earlier, there are four more volunteer coordinators here! Yay! I have gotten to go pick up three of them. This has been good, because up until the third pick-up I had been consistently waking up at 2am. I get a lot done when I wake up freakishly early, but I also fall asleep hard by 6pm. The third pick up got me to stay up till about 2am the next day when I had to be awake by 7am so I could be ready to go out with the mobile clinic at 9am. This is what caused my schedule reset and I am happy for it.

So visiting the colonies and patients is one of my favorite things so far. All of the people  I have met have stories etched into their faces and their eyes are just full of experiences that I will never have, many/most of which are experiences I am grateful to be without. They all have practically nothing, but just about every person I have smiled at gives me one of their own in return and some share their smile first. Cleaning the ulcers was very enlightening, I did not expect to have the response I did. I did not find the wounds particularly disgusting or anything like that (no surprise there), nor did I weep or feel super sad when I noticed the lack of fingers and toes. I was there to do a job and that job needed getting done. It was after we left the colony where I was helping to clean the ulcers that I really started to think on what I had seen. I am still trying to figure out how to articulate it... I am aware that many things are bigger than me, but I do not know how to speak on this thing yet... Till then I will just keep shooting, thinking, and working.

Love you all! Hope you are in good health and spirits!




No comments:

Post a Comment